Thursday, February 11, 2010

Parent Teacher Conferences, demystified

I have conducted 19 teacher-parent conferences in the last 36 hours. I'm pretty sure that qualifies me as some sort of expert.

If you have such a meeting with your child's teacher coming up, you may want to study my parent-teacher conference thesaurus where you can cross-reference what the teacher says and what the teacher means.


  • "He / she is great at science!" = Can't read, can't add.

  • "He / she is very active!" = 1)Please stop feeding him / her sugar coated chocolatey sprinkle flakes before school. 2)Please medicate your child.

  • "I'd like to see him / her become more of an independent worker." = Your kid follows me around all day like a hungry abandoned puppy.

  • "He / she is a sensitive child." = Crybaby.

6 comments:

  1. I remember those codes when I taught. Too bad teachers can't just say what they mean. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know! I've gotten the "energy" remark since Carter entered Preschool. Luckily, he's mellowed.....but every now and then, it sneaks back in.

    Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg..u r right...with your dictionary..

    I was a good kid in school - i'm trying to remember if i got any of these

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny and I'm sure so true.

    ReplyDelete